A Career with BFE
BFE continuously looks for engineering talent that could complement our already diversely competent and experienced group of designers. Every engineer at Black Forest Engineering must have a solid grasp of fundamental properties and design concepts. BFE engineers must also have the creativity to come up with the simplest and most easily implemented solution, providing for successful and robust designs.
To inquire about our position(s) please email us @
OPEN POSITIONS (2)
Automotive Functional Safety IC Design Engineer
This person would lead the safety analysis and functional safety definition for BFE’s custom ASICs. The ASICs are critical to sensor performance, and this proposed position is key to making our ASIC designs verifiably robust with evidence and rationale to support them being used in a functional safety concept.
The ideal candidate is someone with strong knowledge of mixed-signal semiconductor design, technology and functional safety (e.g. ISO 26262) to develop and implement new safety semiconductor products.
Primary areas of responsibility
- Experience with analog and digital IC design (mixed-signal), with a strong understanding of systems engineering and functional safety processes
- Component-level DFMEA (failure modes and effects identified), FMEDA (diagnostics and coverage defined and tested), documentation (ISO 26262 work products), be involved in all aspects of product development to ensure functional safety (FuSa) is considered.
- Lead and support internal and external ISO 26262 efforts, understanding technical details well enough to generate documents and work products required by the ISO 26262 standard
- Perform detailed systems reliability analyses (FIT rates, probabilistic failure analysis, fault tolerance analysis, etc.)
- Support circuit design, simulation, and evaluation
- AEC qualification
- Write detailed safety requirements
- Develop semiconductor safety architectures
- Drive completion of verification and validation activities, such as verification plans, mixed signal simulations, fault injection simulations and evaluations.
- Actively participate in cross functional product development, design, quality, and reliability conversations to ensure that functional safety is a key consideration in all decisions
- Support Design and Safety teams to develop system-level requirements and safety strategy
- Manage requirements from design to production using JAMA
- Lead reviews, audits and assessments through the release of functional safety content
- IC layout of critical circuits
- Familiar with Linux environment, utilities, and scripting
- 2+ years’ experience with mixed-signal ICs
- Analog IC design, Digital systems plus Systems Engineering Processes
- Familiar with Cadence and Mentor design tools
- Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering, MSEE preferred
This IC design engineer position requires the ability to design mixed-signal, time domain circuitry at the transistor level using state-of-the-art tools primarily from the Cadence design suite. Candidates must possess a strong understanding of device physics, modelling, physical layout, fabrication techniques, packaging, test and design flows. Ideal candidates are self-directed and able to make key engineering tradeoffs using best practices, sound engineering judgment and system level understanding. In addition, candidates must have excellent documentation and communication skills supporting design reviews and work effectively in a team environment.
- Design of mixed-signal transistor level circuits to meet specifications
- Performance optimization of circuits including tradeoff and corner analyses
- Perform cell, block and system level simulations
- Participate in design reviews and offer critiques of your own and other’s circuits
- Perform layout reviews of critical cells
- Document designs
- Assist in developing test plans and test hardware
- Meet challenging tapeout schedules and support team goals
- Understanding of mixed-signal circuit design and analysis
- Knowledge of Cadence design suite for schematic creation and simulation.
- Basic Linux knowledge as applied to Cadence tools
- Basic Skill coding knowledge as applied to Cadence tools
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Attention to detail
- Good organization, time management and prioritization
- Ability to work effectively within a team
- Ability to effectively and constructively critique other’s work
- Ability to be responsible with privileged information
- Flexibility in accepting tasks outside of your normal scope
- IC Layout ability is a plus.
- Automotive qualification for IC background is a plus.
- On Site Availability
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering or electronics discipline or similar discipline and 2+ years of relevant experience
BFE is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.