From Spec to System
>260 fully custom ICs
Die Sizes from 300um wide to 51x25mm
Over 15 different silicon foundries
Process experience ranging 60nm-1.2um
As a full service custom mixed-signal ASIC design house, Black Forest Engineering helps customers of all sizes with everything from the initial IC specification all the way to providing a functional test system.
- We help ensure that the specification is complete and meets your system’s requirements.
- We can help select the optimal foundry and process for manufacturing the ICs.
- We manage the manufacturing and packaging logistics.
- We test the ICs to ensure that they meet spec.
- We can design specific blocks for use in existing or other designs
- we are available to consult on existing projects offering our expertise to guide design decisions.
Experience in special applications
- IR detectors / preamplifers / multiplexers
- Micro-power A/D and D/A converters
- X-ray and high energy particle detectors and interface chips
- Radiation hard versions of above
- Image sensors (CMOS and CCD)
- Image processors
- Integrated liquid crystal drivers
Chip Size Extremes
- 300um diameter die size imagers for medical applications
- 17×19 mm2 display driver for projection displays
- 51×25 mm2 visible/scintillator x-ray sensor (using stiching)
Speeds and Signals
- as high speed as 2Ghz analog bandwidth CMOS for LADAR range sensing
- down to single photon detection
- from far infrared to high energy particle readout processors
Non-Standard processes for special applications:
- Thermopile – Micrel
- PiN detector – Micron Semiconductor Ltd.
- Rad-hard CMOS – Honeywell 0.8 SOI
- CCD – Supertex 1.2um
Multi-Project Wafer (MPW) runs for prototypingWe have extensive experience with MPW’s for cost effective prototyping.
Experience with a variety of Process Types
- on-chip analog, digital, and instruction based interfaces
- PCB designs and interfaces using FPGA, CPLD, and micro-processor, and analog/digital components
Custom Testing and System InterfacePerformance built for your specific requirements.
- Testing the proper parameters for your application – prototype to small volume production
- Wafer probing and testing at cryogenic temperatures available
- Solutions for system interface problems:
- Interface electronics
- High density interconnect
- Special packaging